Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Excitment in the Shelley Home

Yesterday, I decided to be crafty. I was busy sewing away on this much needed scripture bag (which by the way IS straight, it just looks funny in the picture. ha ha)



I had just finished wing stitching a blanket so that my Mom could crochet around it and just started making this bag. It used to be a skirt, but I caught it on something and it ripped... sad day! But I decided that I might as well be green and reuse since I was in desperate need of a new bag. My Mom was at the front door talking to some MHS Band Booster people and Mackay and my cousin are out in the garage trying to make long boarding gloves. And using a blow torch. I very old blow tourch.

Suddenly, Mackay and Spencer come bursting through the house screaming "WE HAVE A FIRE!!!" I turn around, and the way the flames were, it looked as though the whole garage was ablaze. I ran outside and my Mom grabbed the fire extinguisher while yelling for me to run and get Kyle and Mackay to go get Brother Jayne (he's a fireman). I sprint accross to the Simmons and pound on the door. Kyle isn't home, but I'm pretty certain that I terrified his little boy who came to the door when I stumbled through the words "we have a fire!!! Is your dad home?" I turned and ran as soon as I found out that he wasn't, praying that I wouldn't find the whole house on fire when I got back. None of the Jaynes were home either, so we were left to ourselves for a time.

For some reason, our extinguisher was not working. My Mom is yelling "Why won't it work?!" Mackay is searching for something to put it out. I'm trying to keep the kids back and remain semi-calm. Someone is trying to find a long enough hose to reach the fire (but it was a gas fire, so we know how that would go.) Our smoke alarms are blaring and pretty much the entire street is at our house because of all the commotion, but everyone is running around trying to find a working extinguisher. I realize that the table is still the only thing actually on fire, but the flames are HUGE, which is why it looked like the whole garage was burning. Then, our neighbor, Ryan came running over with an extinguisher and put the fire out! and everyone breathes a sigh of relief.

It was pretty intense. I don't know if I have ever prayed that quickly in my entire life. It was truley a miracle that Mackay and Spencer were not at all harmed. It was also a miracle that the entire garage didn't catch flames because the way Mackay explains it, the torch gun blew up and I witnessed just how huge the flames were. What a miracle this whole thing was. I am truly grateful to The Lord for answering our prayers and keeping us safe!

Here are some pictures of the crazy after math. My Mom joked that we sould have taken a picture of the fire. ha ha. That was definitely the last thing on all of our minds.

Here is the burnt table:


And the blow torch gun that blew up:


The glove they were working on:

5 comments:

Jenny said...

Holy cow! How did I not hear about this before now? Apparently we need to talk more...

Super cute bag! The material looks awfully familiar...to bad it can't still be a skirt, but way to go on reusing it! :)

Julie said...

Oh goodness! I'm glad that everyone is ok and that the Shelley home is still intact. :)

I agree with Jenny, we need to talk more... we need a good girl's night/game night! :D

Anywho... one more week until your awesomeness that is your Triathlon. Woot woot!

Kailei said...

Jenny and Julie,

YES YES YES!!! We DO need to talk more! I will plan a girls night for sure!

Jenny said...

Ooh--sounds like fun!

Kinzi Jo said...

ha ha oh my heck only in OUR family ha ah how does crap like this happen to us??