Saturday, February 6, 2010

Kailei and the Scooter


Kailei=Clumsy

Kailei+Heels=Extra Clumsy

Kailei+Heels+Micro Scooter=Dangerous

Kailei+Heels+Micro Scooter+GIANT sidewalk crack=Completely Disastrous!!!!

So... My theory professor decided to move dictation classes (some of you may know them by Aural Skills classes) forward 10 minutes to accommodate a handful of people who have a lab that starts the same time that dictation ends. But you see... I have an institute class that got out 15 minutes before dictation started... and now with it being 10 minutes earlier, that means I have a class that gets out 5 minutes before I'm supposed to be in dictation.

The institute building is on Rural.

The school of music is on Mill.

On a good day, I can book it across campus in 7 minutes... which means I would be at least 2 minutes late to dictation. BUT... we rarely get out of institute on time, which means I would be about 5 to 10 minutes late. On a test day, that won't work.


So I came up with a solution.



Yes... I am taking a scooter to school... it seemed the only logical choice! (Right?)
(Mine is not quite as new as this picture...or as awesome looking...but that's ok).

And yes... I have been on time to dictation every day!!! With the scooter, I can make it across campus in 3 minutes!!! AWESOME!

Well... on Wednesday, I was supposed to sing in my voice studio (didn't happen...but that is another story for another blog) so I had to dress up and look all perform-y.

So I wore heels.

Usually on Wednesdays, I would not need the scooter, but since I have been rushing to get back to my car to get home to teach a lesson, I decided that it would be LOADS easier to just take the scooter to choir with me and jet back to my car and not have to practically run back to the institute to grab it.

Well.
The trip to choir was a little shaky, and deep-down I knew it was a bad idea to ride a scooter with my heels on. But I did it anyway. I had no trouble on the way to choir, other than realizing that it was a little hard to use the brake with my heel, but I compensated, so I figured it was safe to ride back after choir, right?

Wrong.

I was riding along, loving how much easier the scooter made things, chuckling to myself over my brilliance.
I was literally 5 feet away from the institute building when it happened.
The front wheel of my scooter hit a GIANT (we're talking needs-to-be-fixed size) crack in the sidewalk.
My bag went to the right.

My scooter went to the left.

And I went straight forward.

I thought about lying on the concrete for awhile, but then these two girls that were walking by proceeded to laugh at me, so let me tell you, I got up super fast, doing one of those head-scratches that actually covers your face.
I had to take my bruised ego over to get my bag, turn to find the silly scooter, and walk the remaining 2 feet to the institute garage.

But don't worry. I'm okay. I did cry when it happened, but only because I was laughing SO hard. Because I must admit that it was super funny.
Especially because I totally knew something like that would happen.

I came out of my little adventure with 2 skinned knees, a dirty pair of pinstriped pants, a sidewalk burned hand, and a pretty damaged ego.

But it was pretty funny.
And I still rode the scooter the next day.

3 comments:

Jenny said...

Haha--I'm glad I got to hear both versions of the story! This one is awesome too! (I love your use of color.) :)

Julie said...

Oh goodness! I'm glad you're ok! :)

Kinzi Jo said...

we are totally related ha ha we are clutzs so it must come from the alexander side!!! i started a new blog its jeremandkinzi.blogspot.com i still have the one of me but that is me and him!!! so exciteing